Re: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: [CL] RIF Basic Logic Dialect hits last call]

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick J. Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:48:30 -0500

From: Ron Wheeler [mailto:rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
To: [ontolog-forum] [mailto:ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 01:17:11 -0500
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: [CL] RIF Basic Logic Dialect hits last call]
 am coming to
the conclusion that many complimentary and contradictory ontologies are
going to be made freely available
Yes, indeed. So? Would you prefer that ontologies WEREN'T freely available? Maybe they should be released only under some global authority? What global authority? NATO, maybe? Or China?
and unless we get a structure for
allocating namespaces
We have it, it is called URI's (or more recently, IRIs). Read about the basics of Web architecture.
, we are going to impair the ability of application
developers to assemble a set of foundation ontologies and domain
specific ontologies that can be integrated into a usable base for
customization.
How does freedom impair ability?

The fact that developers and system manager can depend on unique LDAP
OIDs, unique Java package names and unique Internet Domain Names has
made a huge difference in the capabilities of systems and the Internet.
These are managed in a decentralized way or self managed with a high
level of success.

We are already seeing a few useful foundation ontologies being released .
I am concerned that I will have trouble integrating my application
specific ontology with foundation ontologies produced by different
companies or industry groups if namespaces are duplicated between
vendors or open source projects.
URIs are never accidentally duplicated. Stop worrying about this, its a non-issue. All the SWeb languages have mechanisms built-in for handling namespaces, and have had since day one.

Is this something that IANA (http://www.iana.org) should be mandated to
manage?
NO. Nobody should 'manage' it, just as nobody 'manages' the Web. Which is why it works.

Pat Hayes

Ron