Re: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: [CL] RIF Basic Logic Dialect hits last call]

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:11:41 -0400
Patrick J. Hayes wrote:

> [...]
My point exactly. They will not be controlled. There is no point even
worrying about it.

>     and unless we get a structure for
>     allocating namespaces
>
> We have it, it is called URI's (or more recently, IRIs). Read about
> the basics of Web architecture.
>
>     , we are going to impair the ability of application
>     developers to assemble a set of foundation ontologies and domain
>     specific ontologies that can be integrated into a usable base for
>     customization.
>
> How does freedom impair ability?
Without namespaces it would. That was why I was concerned. Mistakenly I
am relieved to hear.

>     The fact that developers and system manager can depend on unique LDAP
>     OIDs, unique Java package names and unique Internet Domain Names has
>     made a huge difference in the capabilities of systems and the
>     Internet.
>     These are managed in a decentralized way or self managed with a high
>     level of success.
>
>     We are already seeing a few useful foundation ontologies being
>     released .
>     I am concerned that I will have trouble integrating my application
>     specific ontology with foundation ontologies produced by different
>     companies or industry groups if namespaces are duplicated between
>     vendors or open source projects.
>
> URIs are never accidentally duplicated. Stop worrying about this, its
> a non-issue. All the SWeb languages have mechanisms built-in for
> handling namespaces, and have had since day one.

I withdraw my concerns. and will plow ahead with some practical work.
You have lifted a great concern from my mind.    (01)

>     Is this something that IANA (http://www.iana.org) should be
>     mandated to
>     manage?
>
> NO. Nobody should 'manage' it, just as nobody 'manages' the Web. Which
> is why it works.
The web is tightly managed. I can not just make up IP addresses. I have
had one of my Class C address blocks mistakenly reallocated once which
cut off European access to our sites until I contacted the European
authority and got them to fix a typing error.    (02)

I can make up domain names but I can only use them inside my network.
Otherwise I have to register them and this process is tightly
controlled. I can only get new names that are not already given out.    (03)

Tight but decentralized.    (04)