Re: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: [CL] RIF Basic Logic Dialect hits last call]

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:08:42 -0700

> > NO. Nobody should 'manage' it, just as nobody 'manages' the Web.
> > Which is why it works.
>
> The web is tightly managed. I can not just make up IP addresses.    (01)

"The Web" is not to be equated with "The Internet," of course. Portions
of the Internet infrastructure are managed, mostly by the specification
of a plethora of protocols that underpin its operation, by
the "Assigned Numbers" controlled by IANA and the DNS top-level domains
and the authorities regulating each of the TLDs.    (02)

However, I think it is not accurate to think of the Web as managed,
tightly or otherwise. Naturally, players (by which I mean the creators
of software) more or less comply with the Web-related standards such as
HTTP, (X)HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PNG, SVG, etc., but beyond these
low-level matters (few of whose standards are as faithfully adhered to
as the lower-level protocols) there's nothing I'd really consider
management.    (03)

> Tight but decentralized.    (04)

A few key infrastructural elements are tightly controlled and managed.
The rest isn't really much more than mostly cooperative (but too often
malevolent) chaos.    (05)

Randall Schulz    (06)