Re: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: [CL] RIF Basic Logic Dialect hits last call]

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 22:05:01 +0100
Dear Ron,    (01)

Just one point.    (02)

> I just want to have a ghost of a chance of being able build up a
> compatible set of ontologies (basic science, units of measure, physics,
> chemistry, process equipment, instrumentation, health and safety,
> regulatory, etc.) from many sources.  I want to use them without having
> to rename everything.    (03)

[MW] What I am hoping for, is that for these basic things, the people
responsible for their definition (the authoritative source) will provide
suitable URIs. So for example, that the International Committee for Weights
and Measures (Comité international des poids et measures) will provide the
ones for units of measure. I think that an authoritative source can be
identified for most of the things you mention above. The problem I see is in
persuading them to rise to the challenge of providing the web identities and
definitions. Perhaps we could help?    (04)

What I fear is that everyone will define their own identities and
definitions for e.g. units of measure.    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/     (07)