Re: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: [CL] RIF Basic Logic Dialect hits last call]

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 08:50:42 -0400
Ron,    (01)

That is certainly true:    (02)

 > I am coming to the conclusion that many complimentary and
 > contradictory ontologies are going to be made freely available
 > and unless we get a structure for allocating namespaces, we
 > are going to impair the ability of application developers to
 > assemble a set of foundation ontologies and domain specific
 > ontologies that can be integrated into a usable base for
 > customization.    (03)

In various discussions, we have talked about setting up a registry
for managing and organizing the ontologies and relating them to
one another.    (04)

 > Is this something that IANA (http://www.iana.org) should be
 > mandated to manage?    (05)

Since ontology is a kind of metadata, it seems reasonable to follow
the standards in ISO 11179 for metadata registries.  The Wikipedia
article has a brief summary with pointers to various web sites
for more information:    (06)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11179    (07)

This standard was developed by ISO/IEC JTC1 SC32 WG2 on Metadata.
Not coincidentally, that is the same committee that is responsible
for the ISO/IEC 24707 standard for Common Logic.  The rationale for
developing the Common Logic standard in that committee is that one
of the important uses for Common Logic is to specify metadata,
such as ontologies.    (08)