Re: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: [CL] RIF Basic Logic Dialect hits last call]

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick J. Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 17:23:33 -0500

From: Ron Wheeler [mailto:rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
To: [ontolog-forum] [mailto:ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 14:11:41 -0500
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: [CL] RIF Basic Logic Dialect hits last call]

Patrick J. Hayes wrote:

> [...]
My point exactly. They will not be controlled. There is no point even
worrying about it.

> and unless we get a structure for
> allocating namespaces
>
> We have it, it is called URI's (or more recently, IRIs). Read about
> the basics of Web architecture.
>
> , we are going to impair the ability of application
> developers to assemble a set of foundation ontologies and domain
> specific ontologies that can be integrated into a usable base for
> customization.
>
> How does freedom impair ability?
Without namespaces it would. That was why I was concerned. Mistakenly I
am relieved to hear.

> The fact that developers and system manager can depend on unique LDAP
> OIDs, unique Java package names and unique Internet Domain Names has
> made a huge difference in the capabilities of systems and the
> Internet.
> These are managed in a decentralized way or self managed with a high
> level of success.
>
> We are already seeing a few useful foundation ontologies being
> released .
> I am concerned that I will have trouble integrating my application
> specific ontology with foundation ontologies produced by different
> companies or industry groups if namespaces are duplicated between
> vendors or open source projects.
>
> URIs are never accidentally duplicated. Stop worrying about this, its
> a non-issue. All the SWeb languages have mechanisms built-in for
> handling namespaces, and have had since day one.

I withdraw my concerns. and will plow ahead with some practical work.
You have lifted a great concern from my mind.

> Is this something that IANA (http://www.iana.org) should be
> mandated to
> manage?
>
> NO. Nobody should 'manage' it, just as nobody 'manages' the Web. Which
> is why it works.
The web is tightly managed. I can not just make up IP addresses.
The Internet is managed, in this sense. But there's no central authority. (As a matter of fact you can make up IP addresses, just like you can make up binary nuimbers, though then things will not actually work.) However, the Web is really un-managed. You really CAN make up your own URIs, and indeed people do it all the time.
I have
had one of my Class C address blocks mistakenly reallocated once which
cut off European access to our sites until I contacted the European
authority and got them to fix a typing error.

I can make up domain names but I can only use them inside my network.
Otherwise I have to register them and this process is tightly
controlled. I can only get new names that are not already given out.
Domain names, sure. But you can make up URIs to your heart's content, and nobody else need be involved in any way. And RDF/RDFS/OWL/ etc. all require all ontology concept names to be full URI references. So concept names are globally unique. Which was the point, of course.

Pat

Tight but decentralized.