Re: [ontolog-forum] The Open Group SOA Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 02:50:29 -0400
Toby, Ed, et al.,    (01)

TC> There are a growing number of interaction patterns that are
 > only possible with a message oriented response.    (02)

Message passing is the most fundamental of all these methods.
Subroutine call is one very constrained special case.  The O-O
paradigm is another special case.    (03)

EB> With all due respect, I think the request/response interaction
 > paradigm is fundamental to "service-oriented".  As discussed in
 > other venues, the actual technical interaction can be more complex
 > than request/response, but the fundamental paradigm cannot be.    (04)

I agree, but I would say that "request/response" is another special
case of message passing.  There are many kinds of message types that
are neither requests nor responses, and not all requests trigger a
response from the intended recipient.  For example, a request sent
to an executive might be read by a secretary, who forwards it to
an assistant, who sends a response.    (05)

Petri nets are a good message-passing model, which subsumes finite
state machines, flow charts, and many kinds of concurrent processing
as special cases.  Robin Milner generalized Petri nets to the
pi-calculus.  And pi-calculus was adopted as the formal semantics
for BPEL (Business Process Execution Language):    (06)

    http://www.cs.unibo.it/~lucchi/papers/jlap-wsfm.pdf
    A pi-calculus based semantics for WS-BPEL    (07)

And BPEL is used for SOA.    (08)

Following are some references for the pi-calculus:    (09)

    http://www.fairdene.com/picalculus/    (010)

All these techniques are based on message passing, and many more
variations and combinations are likely to be invented in the future.    (011)

John Sowa    (012)