Re: [ontolog-forum] The Open Group SOA Ontology

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
From: "Sean Barker" <sean.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:13:09 +0100

 Ed,    (01)

An alternative way of looking this is that we in business have
to keep to all sorts of regulations and standards from Sarbanes-Oxley to
ISO 9000, not to mention security standards such as ISO 17799. Many of
these also require us to assure that the data has evidential weight -
that is, we must be able to prove we didn't just make it up. Doing this
requires a good deal of physical audit of the organizations involved.
Physical audit across the net will be very interesting, in the sense of
the Chinese curse, "may you live in interesting times".    (02)

The aircraft industry version of ISO 9000 is even more
demanding, and for some functions could be interpreted as requiring that
any software service supplier is liable to notify the aircraft
manufacturer of any bugs in their software as soon as they notice them,
a liability that persists throughout the life of the aircraft (up to 70
years).    (03)

And I would guess that this might also extend to URI's, such as
elements of an ontology.    (04)

Sean Barker
Bristol, UK    (05)