Re: [ontolog-forum] What is "understanding"

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:22:01 -0400
John,
  One point:    (01)

> If your only complaint is that Cyc is not open source,
> then you could suggest that the gov't buy Cyc and donate
> it to the world.  That would be cheaper than starting
> a totally new program.

  Not being fully public is not Cyc's only problem, but if it did become
public by that mechanism, I think it would have a dramatic effect on the
number of users, and help solve what other problems there are.  That would
make it possible and desirable for many other groups to collaboratively
contribute to its improvement and create demonstration applications that
would encourage others to help improve it.
   I just don't want to hold my breath until that happens.  There are useful
things that can be done meanwhile.  For one, much of the Longman vocabulary
is not explicitly represented in the public version of Cyc from which I am
currently taking components (0.78, OWL version).  I don't want to use any
components that are not fully open (freely usable).
   Do you really think that what Microsoft works on is a good measure of
what is worthwhile?    (02)

Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.