Re: [ontolog-forum] What is "understanding" - was: Building on common gr

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:42:40 -0400
John,
   Thanks for the reference to PEP, I hadn't seen that.
   Of course, when I said I would like to 'revisit' WEP with an ontology as
a component I did not expect people to think of this as being close in
method to the original.  Other groups have used the 'Word Expert' term for
various methods, and I wasn't aware that it would be confusing in this
context.  But I can certainly find another term to express the notion of a
sophisticated program used for interpretation of specific words - working
with other components of an NLU system.      (01)

[JS] > I would also suggest that you qualify the following statement:

[PC] >  > All language-independent knowledge should be in the ontology.

  OK, I didn't mean the *foundation ontology*, which is small, but meant the
set of ontologies used for any given domain.  There is still an ambiguity -
I usually use the term 'an ontology' to include the set of assertions
(facts) that are expressed using the types and relations of the ontology.
If you think that the terminological component of the ontology should be
distinguished from the factual assertions, perhaps you would suggest how you
would prefer to express that distinction.    (02)

Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416