Re: [ontolog-forum] What is "understanding"

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:31:57 -0400
One idea using John's point about a library of domain
ontologies compared to the trouble at the upper ontology level:    (01)

JS>Other groups have developed their own upper levels, and nobody
who has an upper level shows any interest in adopting anyone
else's.  If Cyc hasn't accomplished this task in 23 years,
what is the evidence that another 23 years with more millions
JS>of dollars would make much, if any improvement?    (02)

If one were to begin anew to urgently develop a "common foundation ontology "
then one might consider mapping the existing upper/foundational ontologies to
see what is common.  At least that sounds as useful as getting some agreement
without understanding what is common in these.  John's content seems to be that
you won't find large, obvious commonality.    (03)

Gary Berg-Cross
SOCoP Executive Secretary
Potomac MD