Re: [ontolog-forum] What is "understanding"

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 16:36:51 -0400
Sergei,    (01)

On 4/2/2008 you wrote    (02)

>So, indeed this workshop offers an opportunity for
>a discussion on one or more of the topics relevant to the group.    (03)

>Indeed, we would much prefer to have this workshop concentrate
>on such discussions and not to be yet another venue for people
>just to tell us what they did over their summer vacation (not that
>that should be totally excluded either).    (04)

>So, any ideas about a panel?    (05)

Well my original thought was leveraging some of the ontolog-forum discussions
that touch on the ontology-language relations.  Such threads, besides the
current one, as represented by this list:    (06)

·         Ontology similarity and accurate communication    (07)

*       Axiomatic ontology    (08)

*       Language ambiguity (was: Axiomatic ontology)    (09)

*       Topic maps and the "wheel" of "logical semantics": was Re: {Disarmed}
Re: OWL and lack of identifiers    (010)

*       A "common basis"    (011)

The idea was to leverage some members of this community that might have
particular positions or interests in either these topics or issues within them.
 People might volunteer to cover a topic and others might be interested in
hearing the discussion. Someone from CYC might provide a response to some of
the arguments we've heard, for example.    (012)

 You'd need a panel organizer to pull things together.  I did something like
that for a Semantics for SOA Panel looking at what had been presented at
previous Service Oriented Architecture for E-Government Conference
<http://semanticommunity.wik.is/Government_SOA_Community_of_Practice/Conferences/4_2007_October_1-2>
 , held at MITRE.      (013)

However, I was also thinking of an event at FOIS 2006 (I think) where Philipp
CIMIANO  and Uwe REYLE presented a paper called "Towards Foundational Semantics
Ontological Semantics Revisited".    (014)

See http://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/pci/Publications/fois06.pdf
<http://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/pci/Publications/fois06.pdf>     (015)

There abstract, in part goes as follows:    (016)

(Using) Nirenburg and Raskin's paradigm of ontological semantics, we adhere to
the basic tenet that natural language semantics needs to be captured with
respect to an explicitly formalized ontology. Many researchers in computational
semantics, however, have neglected the ontological aspects of meaning
representation, and even more have neglected aspects of meaning representation
related to domain-independent ontologies, i.e. foundational or upper-level
ontologies. In this paper we argue for a stronger integration of foundational
ontologies in computational semantics. We show that relying on foundational
ontologies can, on the one hand, lead to a clean separation between
domain-specific and domain-independent components of natural language
processing systems. On the other hand, we show how the interplay between
foundational, domain ontologies and lexical semantics resources can elegantly
account for disambiguation as well as allow to draw non-trivial inferences.    (017)

Seems relevant to the topic and if I remember right, John Sowa asked the
authors what was new in what they were saying, it all was in his Conceptual
Structures book from the 70s - which was cited in their paper.  The point, at
least to me, much of what we hear fails to build on the shoulders of some of
our seminal thinkers.  Talk is good, but talk grounded in adequate
understanding of past work is much better.      (018)

 As to more specifics on what would be a good panel, I might have suggestions,
but the larger ontolog community probably has better ones.    (019)

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
EM&I
Semantic Technology
Executive Secretariat
Spatial Ontology Community of Practice (SOCoP)
http://www.visualknowledge.com/wiki/socop
<http://www.visualknowledge.com/wiki/socop>     (020)