Re: [ontolog-forum] Time representation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:29:15 -0500
Pat,    (01)

I definitely do not want to conflate instants with points.    (02)

That's a good example:    (03)

 > We say things like, see you at noon; we don't say, see you
 > in the fuzzy interval 11:59-12:01.    (04)

When we say "See you at noon", we certainly don't mean at
12:00:00.000000000000000000...    (05)

If several of us gather "at noon".  What criterion would you
suggest for claiming that we all arrived "on time"?    (06)

I'm willing to admit that perhaps it's impossible to define a
domain-independent axiomatization that could answer such questions.    (07)

But I would not say that the fault is with natural languages.
We seem to get along quite well in using NLs for such issues
(and many more in all aspects of life).    (08)