Re: [ontolog-forum] Time representation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:00:42 -0500
Dear Matthew,    (01)

I like that idea:    (02)

 > try what I think of as a Global Business Day. This consists
 > of each timezone for a 24 hour nominally from midnight to
 > midnight (but the business days may vary) and of course some
 > parts of the timezone might have daylight saving, and others
 > not. If you are a global business, this idea of a day is
 > what your accounts are based on...    (03)

That is just one more illustration of the way meaning changes
from one "language game" to another (to use Wittgenstein's term).    (04)

Within any particular language game, the meanings of words can be
very precise (even though some people who play one game may think
that the others are using or misusing the words in "weird" ways).    (05)

The vagueness of natural language arises from the fact that
a simple word such as 'day' may have an open-ended number of
meanings in different language games.  Think of religious
fundamentalists arguing over the meaning of the word 'day'
in the Bible.    (06)

The linguist Alan Cruse coined the word 'microsense' for
each of these possible variations in meaning.    (07)