Re: [ontolog-forum] Time representation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jerry Hobbs <hobbs@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:18:26 -0800
Sean,    (01)

 > As an aside from my discussion with Pat Hayes on geometry and topology,
 > I wondered whether the discussion on time was actually discussing two
 > *ontologies.
 >
 > Firstly, a time *topology, which is invariant under transformation and
 > scaling, and covers concepts like before, during, recurring.
 >
 > Secondly a time *geometry, which covers concepts like date, interval,
 > accuracy.
 >
 > Would separating these out into separate system, and then defining
 > *functions relating the time *geometry to the time *topology make the
 > *ontology more straightforward?    (02)

What do you mean by "separating ... out"?  In the OWL-Time write-up,
the topological properties and the clock/calendar system are in
different sections (with durations between them).  But it sure does
help in axiomatizing the clock and calendar to have already
axiomatized topological concepts.  I think you'd have to do a lot of
duplication if you tried to do both completely independently.    (03)

 > And also, is there a good term for *ontology, meaning an ontology
 > constructed from a particular viewpoint, and carefully leaving a
 > different viewpoint to construct its own *ontology, but which can/may at
 > a later point be imported into some unifying world theory?    (04)

How about "ontology"?    (05)

 > .... And are there
 > good guidelines for making such design decisions?    (06)

If you keep a lot of alternatives in mind as you're constructing your
ontology and don't make a lot of arbitrary decisions that close off
possibilities, it helps.    (07)

-- Jerry    (08)