Re: [ontolog-forum] Scheduling a Discussion [was: CL, CG, IKL and the re

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:06:03 -0800
Re: Context:    (01)

In an effort to share what Adobe means/is doing in the context arena, there
is a document that explains some aspects we are technically linking together
for our LiveCycle Enterprise Suite Business Activity Monitoring (BAM)
servers here:    (02)

http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_lc_bamworkbench    (03)

Section 2 is a good place to start or just search for the term "context".  I
hope this sheds some light on our interest.    (04)

Duane     (05)

On 1/15/08 6:51 AM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (06)

> Pat,
>
> I agree with you about many of the issues.  But I think
> that the source of the disagreement is the scope of the
> phrase "everyone else":
>
> PH> If by "context" you really do mean simply to refer to
>> the actual syntactic mechanism, then you are mis-using
>> the word, because that certainly isn't what everyone else
>> means by it.
>
> I quoted the M-W definition as a good source of what ordinary
> human beings (i.e., everyone other than the tiny minority
> who develop "context logics") mean by the word 'context'.
> The first word sense was the purely syntactic chunk of text,
> and the second was the "environment or milieu" of the text.
>
> Since the syntactic sense is the only one I believe is
> sufficiently clear to be formalizable, that's the one for
> which I use the word 'context' -- in the specialized sense
> of a delimiter for distinguishing the chunk of text that
> is being considered.
>
> If anyone wants to use the term 'context logic' to describe
> the axioms that I would state outside that box, that is
> their choice.
>
> But I don't see any conflict with the way I use it.
> My use of the term is consistent with M-W word sense #1,
> and the context logicians are trying to grapple with word
> sense #2.  The longer phrase 'context box' or 'context logic'
> is sufficient to determine which sense is being used in any
> particular case.
>
> John

>      (07)

"Speaking only for myself"
Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
Adobe MAX 2008 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-max-2008.html