Re: [ontolog-forum] Scheduling a Discussion [was: CL, CG, IKL and the re

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:51:39 -0500
Pat,    (01)

I agree with you about many of the issues.  But I think
that the source of the disagreement is the scope of the
phrase "everyone else":    (02)

PH> If by "context" you really do mean simply to refer to
 > the actual syntactic mechanism, then you are mis-using
 > the word, because that certainly isn't what everyone else
 > means by it.    (03)

I quoted the M-W definition as a good source of what ordinary
human beings (i.e., everyone other than the tiny minority
who develop "context logics") mean by the word 'context'.
The first word sense was the purely syntactic chunk of text,
and the second was the "environment or milieu" of the text.    (04)

Since the syntactic sense is the only one I believe is
sufficiently clear to be formalizable, that's the one for
which I use the word 'context' -- in the specialized sense
of a delimiter for distinguishing the chunk of text that
is being considered.    (05)

If anyone wants to use the term 'context logic' to describe
the axioms that I would state outside that box, that is
their choice.    (06)

But I don't see any conflict with the way I use it.
My use of the term is consistent with M-W word sense #1,
and the context logicians are trying to grapple with word
sense #2.  The longer phrase 'context box' or 'context logic'
is sufficient to determine which sense is being used in any
particular case.    (07)