Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter F Brown" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 18:06:07 +0100
Duane:
It gets worse than that: the semantics of FirstNameofHuman are not
"neutral" either: in Iceland, for example, the first name is the
significant name - even the telephone directories are ordered by first
name; the family name is simply a sort of qualifier (daughter of..., son
of ...) but which is not considered as significant as the first name. I
remember dramas when I worked in the Council of Europe when newly
arrived Icelandic staff were faced with paperwork asking for their
family name or surname but where "Christian" name (there's a bombshell
in itself for some) or forename was not asked for - this was considered
as rude and indelicate as it still is for many English people to be
addressed by their first names by people they don't know.    (01)

So in reply to John's point of packaging a section of text, even widely
accepted packaging does not detract from the problem of adding yet
further context - and the problem is, however careful you are, there
will often be situations where the context requires something else.    (02)

Regards,    (03)

Peter