Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 08:48:30 -0800
John:    (01)

As someone who mapped XML to EDI and other formats, this statement gave us
lots of things to think about:    (02)

On 1/8/08 6:47 AM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (03)

>      * Syntax.  The syntactic function of context is to group, delimit,
> quote, or package a section of text.    (04)

The issue arises when one builds automatic mappers based on metadata
artifacts stored in a registry-repository.  Even if we sit down and agree on
the semantics of "First Name of Human Being" as a data element and give it a
metadata representation term of "FirstNameOfHuman" (type=string) and
constrain the instance values of a list of pre-approved names, there is a
syntactic context issue at mapping.    (05)

If it appears in Xan XML instance of a purchase order using the Xpath syntax
in the hierarchic context of:    (06)

//PurchaseOrder/BuyerParty/FirstNameOfHuman    (07)

The exact same data element has slightly different semantics (strictly in
the context of mapping to another instance of XML) if it appears in a
different hierarchic context of:    (08)

//PurchaseOrder/SellerParty/FirstNameOfHuman    (09)

As the BuyerParty vs. Seller Party hierarchic context qualifies the data
element.    (010)

Is this the type of syntax context you refer to?    (011)

Duane    (012)

"Speaking only for myself"
Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
Adobe MAX 2008 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-max-2008.html