Re: [ontolog-forum] predicates in RDF

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:21:44 -0000
Dear Paola,    (01)

> thanks for link to paper, most interesting, will reference the
> principles which make perfect sense
>
> read it quickly but I do not see anything in there that contradicts
> directly the noun/verb good practice though, have I missed something?    (02)

MW: I was thinking particularly of Figure 4-5 on page 13. This shows
some different ways that different ontological categories can be
represented by entity types, relationships, and attributes.    (03)

MW: Perhaps I should mention that for these purposes verbs equals
activities, or is that really that verbs represent activities.

> what do you think of the idea about mapping rdf  s-p-o  to a e/r
> diagrams? does it make sense to you?
> I think the idea is outlined here
> http://delivery.acm.org/10.1145/1070000/1066828/p666-upadhyaya.pdf    (04)

MW: Given that ontological categories can be modelled in different
ways in different, or even the same, E-R models, you will not be
surprised to learn that I do not think that automatic translation
based on the underlying constructs is likely to be reliable.    (05)

MW: My general experience is that when moving ontological content
from one representation form to another, you need to start by looking
at the representational power of the language, and see how best it
can be deployed to represent the ontological categories you need,
for the purpose you need them. I try to be very regular in the way
that I do this in any particular language, which means that I can
sometimes move an ontology in a semi-automatic way. But this would
not work for anyone else unless they had used the same disciplined
approach that I had chosen (not very likely in my experience).    (06)

Regards    (07)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Registered in England and Wales
Registered number: 621148
Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (08)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (09)