Re: [ontolog-forum] predicates in RDF

To: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:40:56 -0800
>  Danny
>
>thanks for reply
>
>I only party understand what you say, and that is probably because of
>my limited knowledge of  (the way you conceive) semantic tools, I
>apologies for my limitations ( we also probably live on different
>planets)
>
>I have not built my argument  yet, however, I am pretty sure there is
>a good case, and I am glad to hear that Patric C, shares the sentiment
>
>Let me probe quickly a couple of points you make
>
>>  But as it stands, I'm not sure it's viable in the general case for the
>>  reasons you give. I certainly get confused : I don't know whether it's
>>  a linguistic pattern or just habit - "creator" seems clear to me, but
>>  "father" could work either way.
>
><create> would be OK
>

>. I believe the RDF MT is consistent
>>  with this view of WebArch, at least if it isn't I've not noticed any
>>  undesirable side effects. (Ok, there seem to be some weird
>>  disconnects, but no obvious contradictions).
>
>'some weird disconnects' sound rather serious reliability issue when
>we are building
>the network of networks . worth investigating?
>
>There is only one way that I know of to settle this the 'scientific way'
>
>Let's set up a test. Lets take a set of RDF graphs, and provide two version
>unsorted (with no noun/verb naming convention)
>sorted (relations are verbs)    (01)

For completeness you need to consider other
conventions that have been suggested and compare
them. You also need to consider the case where
the composer of the RDF uses a convention that is
unknown to the user/reader/querier of the RDF.
This last is the most likely case, in fact, as
there is no way to record a convention inside the
RDF itself so that it can be communicated. If the
W3C i18n WG were reading this, they would also
ask you to consider cases where the writer and
reader were from entirely different linguistic
cultures, eg English/Japanese or Russian/Tagalog,
and see how robust any suggested convention was
across such distinctions.    (02)

>we then query, use and manipulate the graphs to pursue a variety of
>operations (we play with the things) and keep a record of any
>difference in efficiency/effectiveness of either model    (03)

Bear in mind that the intended use of RDF is that
it will be manipulated by software entirely
without human intervention. Once created, it
should, ideally, never again be seen by human
eyes. So what kinds of manipulations do you have
in mind?    (04)

Pat    (05)

>The we'll talk again
>
>what do you think?
>
>cheers
>PDM
>

>>  Cheers,
>>  Danny.
>>
>>  --
>>
>>  http://dannyayers.com

>--
>Paola Di Maio
>School of IT
>www.mfu.ac.th

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)