Re: [ontolog-forum] predicates in RDF

To: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 00:48:42 -0800
>John
>thanks
>I understand and agree, that somehow the problem may arise from different
>usages and conventions however
>
>in brief
>
>in a business process sense (as supported by SOA type applications)
>a 'verb' is a command of sorts, ie, carries precises functional meaning
>and should be identified a such    (01)

That is hardly *linguistics*, though, right?
English verbs are not always used to convey
commands. Im not sure what 'SOA' means, but the
business rules community have a standard based on
modal logic, where 'verbs' have nothing to do
with commands at all.    (02)

Pat    (03)

>pdm
>
>On Jan 2, 2008 1:40 PM, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  Chris and Paola,
>>
>>  As I said in an earlier note, terminological clashes are
>>  inevitable when words from different traditions are mixed.
>>
>>  The Latin word 'praedicatum' was a translation of Aristotle's
>>  word 'kategoria' (which had been used for an accusation in
>>  a court of law).  Both words had the sense of some word or
>>  phrase that is said of something.
>>
>>  CM> the predicate is the word "creator"
>>
>>  PDM> shrieeekkk, what?, surprise, despair, bewilderment, incredulity
>>
>>  The word 'predicate' in symbolic logic is derived from the sense
>>  of some description or accusation said of something.  But the same
>>  word has been used in linguistics in the more specialized sense
>>  of the verb phrase saying something about the subject.
>>
>>  But there is indeed a commonality that was recognized by
>>  Aristotle and the Scholastics.  Leibniz made the point:
>>
>>      Praedicatum inesse subjecto verae propositionis.
>>
>>  Or in English,
>>
>>      The predicate is present in the subject of a true proposition.
>>
>>  For example, in the true sentence
>>
>>       "Yojo is a black cat"
>>
>>  all the properties implied by 'black cat' are present in Yojo.
>>
>>  Words change their meanings over time, and such clashes happen.
>>  In Italian, for example, the word 'investimento' means both
>>  financial investment and traffic accident.  And both of those
>>  meanings evolved from the original meaning of putting on clothing.
>>
>>  John

>--
>Paola Di Maio
>School of IT
>www.mfu.ac.th

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)