Re: [ontolog-forum] entity: nothing

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:59:58 +0700
Pat    (01)

just speculating a little on the points above and not trying to lead
anywhere specific
for a moment    (02)

following the  observation on the erosion of the coast
rather than defining a hole from what's around it, maybe its the contrary
its what we are looking at, perhaps, that is defined by the space around it?    (03)

also, if Ontology is based on Aristotle's categories, then
which category does antimatter fit?    (04)

PDM    (05)

On 9/20/07, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >A hole is not the same as a ³nothing² ­ there
> >are two separate threads in this discussion: are
> >we not talking about two different ³things² (I
> >use the word advisedly and very cautiously)?
> >

> Quite. Im really not sure what the 'nothing' term
> is supposed to indicate. Early set theorists
> wrestled with this concept for a while before
> they came up with the empty set. Perhaps
> 'nothing' is the empty set?
>
> Regarding boundaries, I made a stab at
> ontologizing these (at least the spatial/physical
> kind) a while ago. Things get quite complicated
> quite quickly. For example, if the surface of a
> solid object is a boundary of it, then where
> exactly is the liquid when that surface is wet?
> It seemed necessary to introduce the notion of a
> 'layer' on each side of the boundary.
> Goegraphical boundaries are even more difficult:
> one has to distinguish physical from notional
> boundaries, for example (when the coastline
> erodes, does the country or the county get
> smaller?)
>
> Pat
>
> >Peter B

Paola Di Maio