Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 08:38:35 -0700
> [MD]  Are discussions of proprietary technologies (e.g., that compare,
> contrast, evaluate) off limits as well?    (01)

[ppy]  Not totally, as suggested (ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2007-02/msg00234.html) ...
every now and then, we solicit support from both commercial and
non-commercial institutions, and host events where we waive those
policies in order to help the community gain a proper perspective and
exposure to both open and non-open technologies or products. Those are
the times when we should engage in the discussions of proprietary
technologies.    (02)

> [MD]  For example, Denny's survey of ontology editors. It would seem
> to be a helpful thing to do.    (03)

[ppy]  Definitely. That is exactly why we feature events with those
waiver. Take for instance, the "Database and Ontology" mini-series ...
we made such a waiver (ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2006-08/msg00069.html#nid07)
thus allowing us to invite people like Oracle to join us in the
discourse.    (04)

> [MD]  It's like the interoperability summit comparing different
> upper level ontologies to understand them, how they differ, and
> how they might work together.    (05)

[ppy]  I assume you are referring to the joint NIST-Ontolog Upper
Ontology Summit of Mar.2006 (ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit) ... Yes,
that was very useful. However, if you have noticed, all invited
custodians of key public upper ontologies had "open" products and
technologies, which were the focus of the discourse, in that
particular initiative.    (06)

Regards.  =ppy