Re: [ontolog-forum] entropy

To: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:38:45 -0500
>Understood and agreed
>
>I think part of this discussion is about whether reality  (uncertainty
>in this case) exists independently of the observers.    (01)

I really hope it is NOT about this
undergraduate-level concern. Let us try
strenuously to avoid such pseudo-philosophical
black holes as this.    (02)

The other issue however is the idea that there
can be an objective notion of uncertainty. That
is a more mature question, but again I wonder if
it relevant to ontology design.    (03)

>I am trying to distinguish between the uncertainty that is independent
>of the observer,
>and the uncertainty that depends on the perspective adopted by the observer
>

>the uncertainty about a bridge becoming unstable
>is different about the uncertainty of the engineers being able to predict it
>
>I consider the former an objective uncertainty - soemthing engineers
>cant do much about, simply a fact of life, therefore a dimension of
>reality, although we cannot model the dynamic precisely we know its
>there    (04)

Its not clear to me that engineers, except
perhaps those working at the nanoscale with
quantum effects, *ever* consider a notion of
objective uncertainty. Virtually all of applied
physics can be interpreted in a deterministic
universe.    (05)

Pat    (06)

>  -
>
>and the second uncertainty is subjective - engineers decide to what
>extent they want/can  incorporate uncertainty in their model,
>therefore it looks to me like a subjective  perspective (the risk
>model adopted by the engineers may or may not be suitable to the risk
>which exists independently from the observer)
>
>PDM
>

>On 8/30/07, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  Paola,
>>
>>  Different people may prefer different perspectives.
>>  Their preferences may be subjective, but that does not
>>  imply that the perspectives are subjective.
>>
>>  To take the example of the photographs of the city,
>>  perhaps you prefer one photo and I prefer another.
>>  Our preferences are subjective, but each photo is
>>  an objective representation of one perspective.
>>
>>   > ... how can I express such distinction otherwise?
>>
>>  I suggest that you can start by expressing them as a list
>>  that says "Here are multiple ways of describing the same
>>  thing from different perspectives."
>>
>>  The goal of science is to find general equations or other
>>  kinds of formulas that can characterize a large collection
>>  of low-level data more concisely.
>>
>>  One of my favorite examples is the collection of data by
>>  the astronomer Tycho Brahe, who made very accurate measurements
>>  of the motions of the planets because he wanted to support the
>>  Ptolemaic theory about how the sun and other planets revolved
>>  around the earth.  But then his assistant, Johannes Kepler,
>>  used the same data to demonstrate that the earth and other
>>  planets went around the sun in elliptical orbits.
>>
>>  You could say that Brahe and Kepler started with the same
>>  objective data, but they had different preferences about
>>  how it should be generalized.  In the end, Kepler's version
>>  proved to be simpler, more general, and more accurate than
>>  Brahe's.
>>
>>  John

>--
>Paola Di Maio
>School of IT
>www.mfu.ac.th

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (08)