Re: [ontolog-forum] entropy

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:00:51 +0700
John
I agree with what you say below    (01)

But I was trying to distinguish objective
(what happens to a bridge over time that causes it to fall), or snow that melts,
or the uncertainty deriving from the risk of metheor striking us when we walkt
-  the subject has no control over external dimensions of reality-    (02)

versus subjective
- the view that each observer adopts of things ( for whatever reason)
- a user could decide to study in detail an ontology to diminish the
uncertainty of their
queries, for example
- the subject controls the perspective    (03)

how can I express such distinction otherwise?    (04)

pdm    (05)

On 8/30/07, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paola,
>
> Perspectives can certainly be objective.
>
>  > Dimensions seem to be objective, perspectives subjective...
>
> Suppose, for example, you walk through a large city and take
> photographs as you go.  Every photograph is an objective
> record of one perspective on one location from one angle
> at one particular instant of time.
>
> For almost all subjects, all we have are collections of
> perspectives, since it is impossible for anyone to comprehend
> everything knowable about any subject.  And the subject
> doesn't need to be as large as a city -- just imagine a
> single tree.  If you get up close to the tree and examine
> each leaf, each vein on each leaf, each wrinkle in the bark,
> each branch of every twig, every root, every insect or
> lichen or moss or scratch, etc., all you have are lots
> of perspectives.  And every one of them can be objective,
> but incomplete.
>
> Nobody can know everything that could be observed about
> a single tree, or even a single petal of a single flower.
> But every perspective at every level of detail could be
> completely objective.
>
> John

Paola Di Maio
School of IT