Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 22:22:52 -0400
Adrian,    (01)

That is true of every programming language and every formal
notation of any kind:    (02)

AW> The sticky part is how to know that you have written
 > 'the right' clauses -- ones that will actually produce
 > the consequences that you want.    (03)

I often make the point that no computer language is ever
vague, but what it says so precisely may have no correspondence
whatever to what the author intended.    (04)

AW> Our approach is to link  English and clauses computationally
 > in both directions.  I believe you do this too, with your
 > NL-to-logic work, albeit with different technology.
 >
 > Our approach additionally produces English explanations, so that
 > what one intends and the clauses that one writes can be more
 > easily aligned in a very tight experimental loop.    (05)

I wholeheartedly agree.  Having a readable English-like version
is extremely valuable.    (06)

But that is a separate issue from the question of getting an ISO
standard for a version of FOL that includes a wide range of commonly
used languages, including various SemWeb languages.    (07)