Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 07:35:40 -0700
On Tuesday 07 August 2007 06:15, Mills Davis wrote:
> Randall,
>
> A follow-up question about CL front-end or modeling tools for the
> three CL notations plus controlled natural language for CL.  What is
> the status of creation/editing software tools?    (01)

Every bit as good as the text editor you use to craft your CLIF...    (02)

Actually, we have done one thing we find handy, a vocabulary summarizer
and analyzer. Its summarizing functions simply list names as used in
different categories:    (03)

- All names
- Names encountered free, including sequence markers
- Names encountered bound
- Sequence markers (free or bound)
- Function names (each encountered arity noted)
- Predicate names (each encountered arity noted)
- Quantifier restriction predicate names
- Interpreted names (a.k.a. literals: strings and numerals)    (04)

The analysis functions show potential problems (at least from the
perspective of classic FOL):    (05)

- Names used both free and bound
- Names used both free and as either function or predicate names    (06)

Names are listed alphabetically, which tends to cluster accidental
symbol spelling variations near each other so typographic errors can be
more easily spotted. And while CLIF does not impose any lexical
conventions on simple variable names (as KIF does), when you do so
voluntarily, seeing names that fit the pattern in the free name list
signals a missing quantifier or a misspelled name in a quantifier.    (07)

We applied the vocabulary tool to some publicly accessible theories
notated in CLIF and found quite a few probable encoding / notation
errors.    (08)

Up till now, our work has mostly been on the theorem prover and solver,
so ontology development hasn't been a priority. Upcoming work for us
will put us more in the theory and ontology development realm, and
we'll craft tools as we recognize the need for them.    (09)

Randall Schulz    (010)