Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 07:57:32 -0700

> Up till now, our work has mostly been on the theorem prover and
> solver, so ontology development hasn't been a priority. Upcoming work
> for us will put us more in the theory and ontology development realm,
> and we'll craft tools as we recognize the need for them.    (01)

I might point out that our logic system is called Tau. We chose the name
kind of as a joke (*), since while working for Adam Pease at
Teknowledge I wrote the predecessor to the current Sigma browser. (A
term I originally coined as an overt suggestion of hubris: Sigma
(summation) ... the sum of all knowledge ... get it? I'd been doing
knowledge engineering with Cyc at the time.) So I have some background
with these things. Ontology browsers, that is, not hubris...    (02)

(*) Somewhat as Unix was "a treacherous pun on Multics," which the Unix
principals had previously worked on.    (03)

Randall Schulz    (04)