Re: [ontolog-forum] unifying layer ?

To: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 09:40:43 -0500
>Okay let me rephrase
>
>There is agreement, from what I hear,  that there appears to be little
>cohesion between the layers of the semantic cake.    (01)

I think the intention behind the layer cake
graphic is, roughly (because any simple graphical
rendering of a complex relationship must be
rough) that each layer depends upon, and must be
understood partly in terms of, the layer
immediately below it. For example, in the
original version, there was a bottom layer which
underlay almost everything labelled XML, because
it was thought that XML *syntax* would be the
universal mode of exchange on the Web. Since then
however non-XML syntaxes for RDF have been
designed and are in wide use, so the newer digram
has the XML layer somewhat contracted. OWL is
transmitted as an RDF ontology, so OWL rests on
RDF. And so on.    (02)

>The graphical representation of the current layer cake reference
>diagram posted earlier on this list, may provide and overly abstract
>simplification of it, so the first step should be investigate in more
>detail the actual relationships between the layers, and not just their
>simplyfied representation.    (03)

This does not exactly need to be investigated, in
the scientific sense. The actual relationships
are complex and in some cases controversial, but
widely understood.    (04)

>Maybe  we just have a picture that does not render justice to reality
>to some extent
>
>However we can assume that cohesion between the layers, even when and
>if it exists, is not optimized nor systematically expressed nor
>represented, and not good enough yet - hence the gaps and some of the
>challenges that the semantic web currently faces    (05)

Please don't make the mistake of confusing the
picture with the reality. The actual
relationships between OWL and RDF for example are
spelled out in excruciating detail in the OWL
specs.    (06)

>Pointers to work that should be taken into account as starting point
>here, please?    (07)

Starting point for what?    (08)

>Then we have some ideas, Azamat's fortocoming meta schema for example
>and maybe a couple of previous related efforts started in the past
>(and some abandoned?)
>
>Goal is: an UOL (Unifyied Ontology Language), or
>similar experimental construct    (09)

Right now, the likeliest candidate for this would
be Common Logic, or maybe the IKL extension of
CL. Mappings from most of the actual formalisms
in use into IKL are now fully worked out, and IKL
has a model theory.    (010)

>I see this a s giant meta wrapper schema, challenging, but not at all unlikely
>I am sure some people think otherwise, so I am interested to hear
>

>Objections? Ideas? Form a team? anyone else intrigued enough to make a move?    (011)

I think many of us are already doing this, if I
understand you. Bear in mind that there is a lot
of work going on that is not included in the W3C
world-view represented in the layer-cake diagram.    (012)

Pat    (013)

>--
>Paola Di Maio
>School of IT
>www.mfu.ac.th

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (015)