Re: [ontolog-forum] unifying layer ?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 07:43:14 -0400
Paola,    (01)

That is true:    (02)

PDM> The graphical representation of the current layer cake
 > reference diagram posted earlier on this list, may provide
 > and overly abstract simplification of it, so the first step
 > should be to investigate in more detail the actual relationships
 > between the layers, and not just their simplified representation.    (03)

That diagram is an extension of the original layer cake diagram
by Tim Berners-Lee.  As many people have observed, that original
diagram and the variations that have evolved from it constitute
the *only* architectural definition of what is the Semantic Web.    (04)

I'm all in favor of good diagrams to illustrate principles, and
the original diagram was a useful starting point.  But anything
as big and complex as the Semantic Web can be characterized from
an open-ended number of different points of view.    (05)

I think its time to rethink and reanalyze all the problems, issues,
and proposals from more than one point of view.  Instead of trying
to force everything into one layer cake, it's important to push
all previous formulations out of the way (including the sacred
diagram) and take a very hard look at where we are, where we want
to be, and how we can get from here to there.    (06)