Re: [ontolog-forum] Cause and chemical reactions

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:22:11 -0400
On the idea of intercultural idea of Eastern influences, E. F. Beall has a page
on Aristotle interpretation of Milesian school (Thales, Anaximander, and
Anaximenes) as possible historical precursors from the Orient.    (01)

http://philosophy.efbeall.net/philosophyindex.htm    (02)

As he says, mid-20th scholars began to notice that ancient texts from places
like India contained statements, somewhat philosophical in nature  that
resembled those of early Greek thought (insofar as it is attested by Aristotle,
who is the only source for some this attesting).       (03)

 Martin West took this approach in a 1971 book.    (04)

Beall has an article on Charles Kahn's 1979 book The Art and thought of
Heraclitus, discussing the idea that Heraclitus used syntactical ambiguity as a
means to enhance the import of his sayings.  His paper argues that there is a
comparable example in an ancient Sanskrit text that was composed in the general
era of the early Presocratics.    (05)

The following is a snipptet from    (06)

The Mediterranean and Asia:  A History of their Intercultural Encounters and     (07)

Related Issues in Comparative Philosophy, by Lenart Skof     (08)

...it gives some of the flavor of the Indian writings    (09)

....Some comparisons between Ancient Indian and Greek philosophies: Rigveda and
Hesiod     (010)

The 129th hymn of the 10th book of the Rigveda (Riksamhita), which can be dated
to the Middle Vedic period (1200-850 BC, the period followed by the first
Upanishads), provides probably the first philosophical evidence for the general
question of the origin of the existent. It also provides evidence for the
question of the First and concomitantly, in the flow of the existent and
non-existent, the continually preserving principle of all the living and
non-living world. Together with other 'philosophical' Rigvedic hymns (10,
81-82; 10, 121, etc.), the hymn is an expression of the wish of ancient Vedic
Indians to approach that which stands at the beginning of the world, enabling
gods and people to come into being in this world and the world to preserve
itself from day to day. Analogous to the development of Greek philosophy
(Parmenides, Plato, Aristotle), within the framework of Indian philosophy, the
'first' philosophers can be recognised in the most important Upanishadic (and
generally the first philosophical) thinkers: Raikva, Shandilya, Uddalaka Aruni,
Yajñavalkya and others (Uddalaka Aruni and Yajñavalkya, the central thinkers of
the Upanishads, probably lived in the 8th /7th century. Ruben10 categorises
them as the third generation of Upanishadic philosophers who lived in late 7th
century, at least a century before Thales). Nevertheless, the pre-Upanishadic
period with its Rigvedic hymns bears crucial importance in relation to the
question about and the definition of the beginnings of philosophical
questioning.     (011)

Apart from Rigvedic hymn 10, 121, one that describes the birth of the world
from a golden embryo/egg (hiranyagarbha) and cosmic waters, the Rigvedic (RV)
hymn 'Nasadasiya' (RV 10, 129) is the most important and most frequently
translated hymn of the Riksamhita. The hymn can be divided into two parts: the
first talks about the beginning of the world (10, 129, 1-4ab), while the second
(4cd-7) describes the created world, a world populated by gods and poets who
explain the new reality. The key stanzas remain the first and second, in which
a Vedic poet wonders about what was there before the 'beginning' of this world.
It questioned: what/how was it then when nothing yet existed? (v.1a: "Then was
not non-existent nor existent"11 ). "No sign was there, the day's and night's
divider" (v. 2b) - in manifold ways the answer is hidden in the mysterious
language used, which nevertheless anticipates the philosophical nature of the
question about the beginning. In the introductory lines, the poet removes
himself from the mythological content, as gods came into being only later: "The
Gods are later than this world's production" (v. 6c). Hence, the beginning is
described as a state in which only the indivisible One is present ('tad ekam';
cf. Gr. 'to hén'). In the absence of any sign of life (there is no death, no
human element, no immortality, no divine), the One breathes by itself: "That
One Thing, breathless, breathed by its own nature" (v. 2c). The One is neither
existent nor non-existent. If the non-existent had existed at the beginning, it
would have already predetermined the existent, the time and space. The only
thing that 'is', can, beyond this dichotomy, be understood as the enigmatic and
mysterious primal void, embracing all possibilities before the creation of the
world: "All that existed then was void and formless" (v. 3c). In light of the
third and fourth stanzas, the first two describe the creation process of the
world and life: what is necessary is desire (kama), the ground principle of the
creation of the world in this cosmogony: "Thereafter rose Desire in the
beginning, Desire, the primal seed and germ of Spirit" (4ab). Before desire,
there is the spirit. Thus, the 'spiritual' - according to the majority of
interpreters (including the most important Indian commentator, Sayana) -
becomes the first recognisable sign of the life of the One. V. 4b contains a
genitive structure that allows the possibility of the opposite interpretation -
that the thought was born from love or desire. 'Kama' (desire or love) can be
compared to Hesiod's 'éros' and is the principle that provides the origin from
which life is born. Deussen contrasted 'kama' (and the later desire to exist -
'trishna') with the Greek expressions 'éros' and 'epithymía' (cf. Aristotle,
Met. 984b23).12 An even more significant comparison is offered by Hesiod (lines
116-125) in the Theogony: his Chaos can be juxtaposed with the Vedic conception
of the beginning, devoid of the existent and the non-existent. Already West
points out a selection of Rigveda hymns (in particular 10, 72. 90. 129. 190)
that can be - together with the other theogonic literature of the ancient world
- compared to Hesiod's Theogony.13 In a comparative sense and within the
framework of the philosophy of the beginning, Hesiod has, to a significant
extent, shifted from ancient mythology to an entirely new question of the
cosmological or cosmogonical 'void' and pre-creation state. He is, more than
the Indian poet, formally and comparatively compelled to expressive forms of
the mythological language. Nevertheless, his Chaos can be understood as a
singular philosophical epoché, a shift to the state before the creation of the
celestial and terrestrial worlds: "Verily first of all did Chaos come into
being, and then broad-bosomed Gaia [earth], a firm seat of all things for ever
(...) and Eros, who is fairest among immortal gods."14 Chaos belongs neither to
the order of being nor to the order of non-being. It is a "qualitative void"15
of the philosophy of the beginning. As such, it is comparable to the
fundamental question of the Vedic thinker. The Vedic hymn also describes the
initial 'qualitative void', that is neither existence nor non-existence. Just
like the Vedic poet, Hesiod does not answer the question of whether something
had been there before Chaos: Chaos is simply referred to as 'came to be'
(génet').     (012)

Gary Berg-Cross
Potomac, MD    (013)