Re: [ontolog-forum] Cause and chemical reactions

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:04:36 +0700
John, Azamat and all

Aristotele's intituition and knowledge, are indeed based on older stuff, possibly
knowledge coming from the ancient vedic civilizations. (where else would get all these ideas from)

 Indeed Greek language has  roots in Sanskrit,  and classical knowledge comes from before Aristotle's times - I Believe the word  aitia comes from ādya , sanskrit for primordial, original, beginning

http://www.miraura.org/lit/skgl/skgl-01.html

we know for a fact that ancient vedic scriptures studied 'what exists', with particular attention to Cause .  Before Aristotles' I understand, science  philosophy and religion were not seen as separate, but just as different methods  to search knowledge

Vedic scriptures today are not known for their scientific contribution, although I know that work is underway there (painful, as much has gone lost)

but I can see you guys have already discussed this?
http://suo.ieee.org/email/msg02764.html

sorry folks, to go biblical on chemistry  :-)

http://www.journal.au.edu/abac_today/2002/jun02/causation.html

Paola Di Maio

On 6/20/07, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Alan,

That is true:

> I don't see it as necessarily true to the world -
> people talk about a lot of stuff that isn't there.

Aristotle's original four "aitia" were modes of
explanation.  The Latin translation 'causa' in the
13th century preserved that meaning.  There was no
implication that those "causae" were part of the
world.

The later meaning of "cause" is very different from
those early meanings.

John

Paola Di Maio *****
School of Information Technology