Re: [ontolog-forum] Cause and chemical reactions

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:41:11 -0400
OK, insofar as the Aristotelian view of causality is analyzed as a
product of human cognition - how messages from people to people are
understood (thematic roles form part of such a theory) I don't see it
as necessarily true to the world - people talk about a lot of stuff
that isn't there. This would bolster my claim that cause has no place
in a realist ontology such as BFO, and that it is of limited use if
we want to understand nature (as opposed to the practice of the
natural scientists).    (01)

As far as the second reference goes, thanks. I need to read that more
carefully.    (02)

I'll note that your response to Patrick needs to be interpreted in a
much different light than what I initially did, which was as
asserting something about the world. In fact it is a funny kind of
sentence since it mixes three kinds of structure - the references to
things in the world,  their placement in a sentence in such a way as
to invoke the thematic roles, and in the same sentence, the names of
those roles labeling the other parts.    (03)

Regards,
Alan    (04)

On Jun 19, 2007, at 10:08 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:    (05)