Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but both needed

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:57:09 +0100
Barry,    (01)

I'd like to believe this is true, but, I am not quite sure it is.     (02)

I was at an conference a few years back with some engineers doing the safety
critical work (including simulation) for the Paris Metro - and what
intrigued me that there were more concerned that the model of what they were
going to implement had an easy to check structure than a close match to
reality. I suppose as they were going to impose this reality, they felt a
simpler structure was safer.    (03)

I agree there is a stronger argument when you are trying to model natural
structures - but even here I suspect the civil engineers building the
nuclear power station use Newtonian rather than quantum mechanics.     (04)

The engineering question is how useful is to understand the underlying
reality. And I think we are still waiting for a good argument.    (05)

Chris     (06)