Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but both needed

To: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:54:26 EST
Wacek,    (01)

If I were trying to address any kind of problem in knowledge
representation, I would much rather start with an informal
terminology that is actually used by practitioners in the field
than an elegant ontology designed by a logician with no experience
in the subject matter.    (02)

> I have heard complaints that overly philosophical ontologies
> are too distant from practical purposes, and make the work
> harder.    (03)

I would agree.  The best kind, however, are those that are
developed by practitioners who also understand logic -- but
there are very few of those.    (04)