Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but both needed

To: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:25:46 -0500
>I hope that we all agree that in major, critical, domains, such as
>medicine or nuclear power generation a good strategy for creating
>useful models is to seek to find out what the underlying reality is like.    (01)

With the caveat that you have to know when to
stop digging, or else we are all turning into
particle physicists. Medicine doesn't usually
need to be concerned with, say, quarks and
leptons.    (02)

Pat    (03)

>BS
>
>At 09:18 AM 6/13/2007, Kathryn Blackmond Laskey wrote:
>>A briefer quote from George Box:  "All models
>>are wrong, but some are useful."

>>At 9:38 AM -0500 6/13/07, John F. Sowa wrote:
>>  >That is certainly true:
>>  >
>>  >>[KL]  For the record, "logically correct solution that yields
>>  >>mathematically precise answers" does not equate with "good."  A
>>  >>logically correct, mathematically precise answer can be AWFUL if it
>>  >>is answers the wrong question.  An imprecise answer from a system
>>  >>riddled with inconsistency can be WONDERFUL if it is a close enough
>>  >>approximation to the answer to the right question.
>>  >
>>  >A comment that has been attributed to Lord Kelvin:
>>  >
>>  >    Better a rough answer to the right question
>>  >    than an exact answer to the wrong question.
>>  >
>>  >John Sowa

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)