Re: [ontolog-forum] Disaster Management ontology BOF in Delft

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 10:07:50 +0700
Well, I thought John was going to start the 'church of the latter ontologists' alongside the
emergency management effort. I particulary enjoy the concept of the 'platonic heaven of matemathical entities',
yes...

PDM

On 6/9/07, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>Wacek,
>
>I was taking the notion of "be" in the most generous sense
>of the term -- namely existence in a Platonic heaven of
>mathematical entities -- something along the lines of
>Cantor's heaven of infinities of infinities of sets (as
>Hilbert and Gödel conceived of it).
>
>JFS>>  ...there must be a complete and consistent description
>  >> of the entire universe for all time.
>
>vQ> First, what is meant by 'description'?  A written, spoken
>  > sentence, a thought, a collection of propositions?
>
>A collection of propositions as abstract entities in that
>Platonic heaven.
>
>vQ> If there is such a description, is the description a part
>  > of the universe, and as such, is it a description of the
>  > entire universe -- thus including the description itself?
>  > If it is not, what does 'entire' mean?
>
>It is impossible to have a perfect model of any physical system
>that takes less space and matter than the system itself.
>
>Any description of a physical system that gets down to the atomic
>level would require more atoms to record it than there are atoms
>in the system.
>
>As I said in my earlier note, such a description would constitute
>a sizable chunk of MoG (the Mind of God), which I assume would be
>located (if "located" is an appropriate term) in a Platonic heaven.
>
>John

Er... guys, fun though this discussion is, surely
it has strayed somewhat from the topic of its
subject line? These disaster-management folk have
enough trouble already dealing with acts of God,
without trying to read His mind.

Pat

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola                       (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502                        (850)291 0667    cell
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes

Paola Di Maio *****
School of Information Technology
Mae Fah Luang University