Re: [ontolog-forum] A "common basis" - bet you can't

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 13:30:56 -0400
Pat Hayes suggests a bet (below):    (01)

> >>and the entire SWeb, a world-wide distributed entity
> >>always under construction and never finished, is your 'foundation
> >>ontology'.
> >>

> >That is pure stipulation. One might call it more
> >accurately as the Central Dogma of the Semantic
> >Web.
>
> Sure, it is a vision rather than a reality; just
> like Patrick's hypothetical Grand Unified
> Ontology. Want to bet which of them will happen
> first?

   Sounds like fun, I'm game.    (02)

   I have described what I hope to achieve with the common foundation
ontology as a "conceptual defining vocabulary" (from a previous note):    (03)

(2.1) [PH] > My point is that you will never know this.
  My criterion for success would be when independent domain ontology
developers use some common foundation ontology (an/or its commonly used
extensions) as their conceptual defining vocabulary, and subsequently
transmit information to each other, and when there are relevant
concepts in one domain ontology that are not in the other domain
ontology, they transmit the definitions of those concepts as well.
They then should be able to reach the same inferences from the same
data.  That is the goal that I think will provide a level of "semantic
interoperability" that is robust enough for error-intolerant
applications.  When users do this, and assert that they have thereby
achieved a level of semantic interoperability on which they can rely
for machines to ***use automated inferencing to make important
decisions without review by a person***, then I will "know this"  in
the sense of what I hope to achieve.    (04)

  Users do such things with carefully crafted software designed to
interact under defined conditions, but not yet (to my knowledge) with
independently developed ontologies.    (05)

   There are two caveats to this criterion:
   (2.1.1) different domain ontologies may have elements other than
those that are transferred for interoperability purposes, and
**additional** inferences in one system may be generated beyond those
in another system.  These additional inferences should not be logically
inconsistent with those inferred by  that other system, and may or may
not be significant with respect to the purpose of the information
transfer.  To be certain of complete consistency, all definitions
beyond the common base that are used in one system would have to be
transferred to the other system, and vice-versa.  The effect will be a
common merged ontology.  It may not be necessary to transfer all new
elements from one or the other system, it may only be necessary to
transfer a relatively small number that are significant for the purpose
of the information transfer, if such a subset can be identified.  If
two groups conduct frequent transfers, it may be simple enough to
identify such a subset for the most common interactions.    (06)

    (2.1.2) if the two groups actually have different sets of data,
naturally some inferences may be generated by one group using the
additional data and vice-versa.  Whether that is significant will
depend on the purpose of the interaction.  To be sure that they will
reach exactly the same inferences, again all of the information in one
system will have to be transferred to the other, or they will agree to
work with a common subset of the information that both they have
in-house.
  ********************************************************    (07)

  Now, if Professor Hayes can describe what form of interoperability he
thinks can be achieved by the Semantic Web *without* a common
foundation ontology, we can see if we have a common object for
comparison or two divergent goals that can never be compared to each
other.    (08)

   If the two goals are close enough for use to know when that goal has
been achieved first by one technique rather than the other, I will
wager that the common foundation ontology will get there first.
Perhaps the wording above can be changed to make success easier to
measure?    (09)

   What shall we wager?  Perhaps in the same spirit as the physicists,
the loser may be obliged to wear (on at least several social occasions)
a T-shirt emblazoned with whatever slogan the winner decides fits the
occasion (perhaps I would insist on something like "A common foundation
ontology is essential for semantic interoperability" -- and might be
obliged, if losing, to have to wear "The Semantic Web Talks, Foundation
Ontologies walk!!" - or whatever PH wants).  Other suggestions for
stakes are welcome.    (010)

  The serious purpose, of course, it to try to define our goals with
enough precision to know when we have achieved what we are aiming at.
But why not have fun in the meanwhile?    (011)

Pat    (012)

Patrick Cassidy
CNTR-MITRE
260 Industrial Way West