Re: [ontolog-forum] A "common basis"

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 11:47:55 -0400
I completely agree with John Sowa that the existing definitions in the
Longman's, using the current defining vocabulary, are in many case not
adequate to capture all of what we would think if as the "necessary
and/or sufficient conditions" for membership in the categories they are
defining.  That's because they were designed to be understandable (at
some level) for people whose native language isn't English.  They
nevertheless demonstrate to my satisfaction that a relatively small set
of concepts can be used to define a much larger set of concepts, within
some criterion of satisfaction and purpose.    (01)

What yet needs to be proven, as I have mentioned before, by experiment
(i.e. just doing it) is that the same principle can be applied to the
more demanding criteria of logical specification of meanings sufficient
for automated inferencing to achieve practical goals.  That is the
purpose of formulating the COSMO as a conceptual defining vocabulary.
That will take some time - I estimate a minimum of several
person-years, and if anyone knows of a funding agency willing to
support such work, perhaps it can be done by several people more
quickly.    (02)

On the linguistic side, it is not idle to wonder whether we can also
create definitions with recursive reference to the base defining
vocabulary, that we can agree *do* satisfy our intuitions about the
necessary conditions, as we might express them logically in an
ontology.  This is susceptible to experiment, which I now suggest.    (03)

John, or anyone else, please provide what you would consider an
adequate definition of some technical term, in English but structured
so that it also captures what you would want as a logical definition in
an ontology.  We can then work through that to see what is needed to
ground that definition in the Longman's base defining vocabulary, and
see if it will be necessary to define additional primitives.  Feel free
to distinguish word senses for ambiguous words.    (04)

Shall we?    (05)

Pat    (06)

Patrick Cassidy
CNTR-MITRE