ontolog-forum

Re: [ontolog-forum] A "common basis"

To: rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 22:48:41 -0400

On May 2, 2007, at 22:33 , richard murphy wrote:    (01)

> Hi K & Bill:
>
> actually, there are some folks who believe information provenance is a
> source of trust, consider the case where the reasoning steps of a
> theorem prover show how the consequent is derived from the antecedent,
> seems that would allow the kids to make their own judgments ...    (02)

I'm one of those folks  trust (in this sense) is dependent on
provenance.  But what it gives you is a tool to identify what is
bad.  It does not give you a tool to identify what is good, except in
a private sense.  What is good, for example for a large enterprise
with limited resources to spend getting their information in order,
may very well be another matter.  Thus trust (again in this sense) is
not a sufficient condition for ontology quality.    (03)

        .bill    (04)