Re: [ontolog-forum] A "common basis"

To: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 01:18:27 -0700
>PatH,
>   > As you know, Patrick, I don't think this is even remotely feasible.
>
>What specifically isn't feasible?  Specifically, what cannot be done?    (01)

Locate a set of basic concepts sufficient that all others can be
derived from the base set by writing definitions. Now, of course, in
a sense this is trivial, since any set of concepts can be defined to
be the 'base'. But I assume that you intend it to be understood in a
nontrivial way.    (02)

>Finding a set of concepts that will be sufficient to specify the
>meanings of others?    (03)

Yes, precisely that.    (04)

>  What would it take to prove that it is feasible?    (05)

What would it take to show it is feasible to walk to the moon? You
can try to do it. You will get somewhere. At any point, you can say
that more work will get more results. All of this is true, and yet
the goal will always remain elusive. A better question is: how will
you know when you have succeeded?    (06)

>Perhaps you can provide a set of "challenge" concepts that will allow
>us to know when we have succeeded?    (07)

My point is that you will never know this. And you will never
succeed. And, more really to the point, it will not matter, since
there is no point it trying to achieve this unattainable goal.
Suppose for a moment that it were possible and you had in fact done
it. So what? What use would it be? It would not provide any guarantee
that it could not all have been done differently, and indeed probably
is being done differently elsewhere.    (08)

PatH    (09)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (011)