Re: [ontolog-forum] A "common basis"

To: <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 16:55:53 -0400
Gulp!
   Patrick D pointed out that I gave a wrong pointer for the controlled
English defining vocabulary utility.  Apologies to all for any 404
nuisances.  The correct pointer is:    (01)

http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SICoP/ontac/reference/ControlledVocabul
ary/checkdefs.zip    (02)

  If any of you think that it is worthwhile trying to develop domain
vocabularies that are as broadly comprehensible as possible, the tactic
of "recursive definition down to a controlled defining vocabulary"
might be worth exploring.  The experience of the dictionaries that use
such defining vocabularies raise the possibility that using  the
linguistic "base defining vocabulary" as the grounding set of concepts,
with recursive definitions of specialized terms down to that base
level, will help create linguistic terminologies that are
comprehensible to anyone with a basic knowledge of English (I am not
fluent in any other language).    (03)

I know we are all already overworked, so I am thinking that it might
still be a useful exercise, if anyone is also thus curious, for each
interested person to try creating one definition of something of
interest to her/him, and we can work through to see if that definition
can be ultimately grounded in the base vocabulary.  At some point I
would hope that it would then be possible to develop a
language-understanding program that can take the definitions grounded
in the baseCV and convert them to the logical form.  That is a way off,
and I expect that it will take a few iterations of the linguistic
definitions and the corresponding foundation ontology, to get to a
reliable system.  But some initial experiments could help to clarify
the kind of problems that would emerge from an attempt to do this on a
large scale.  Does anyone want to venture a definition of some term
(multi-word terms are also OK)?  If so, we will take this to a thread
with a different name.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
CNTR-MITRE