Re: [ontolog-forum] A "common basis"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 12:51:14 -0400
Pat,    (01)

Cassidy, Patrick J. wrote:    (02)

>Actually, N^2 applies to the terms of ontologies also.  The notion of
>using existing equivalence of two terms in two ontologies to reduce the
>effort of mapping might work, but only partly because:
>  (1) one has to know the equivalence mapping in all the other
>ontologies -- not a trivial amount of work, and certainly not 0.  If
>there are a large number of ontologies, one has to inspect the
>equivalence mappings of **every one**!!  Try it, you won't like it.

Why would I have to know the equivalent mappings in all the other
ontologies? (serious question)    (03)

If I trust your mapping of ontology A to ontology B, and I want to map
ontology C to B, why do I need to take the extra step of understanding A?    (04)

>  (2) exact equivalence of intended meaning occurs in probably less
>than half the terms in any two ontologies, and there is often meaning
>overlap which is much more work to reduce

Hmmm, so is it fair to say that at least part of the problem arises due
to the complexity of the ontologies? That is to say the more terms an
ontology covers the more difficult it is to reconcile different ontologies?    (05)

>  (3) *any* structural difference (difference in the relations) of two
>terms in two ontologies will make them formally different (different
>inferences) even if their intended meanings are the same.

So it would not be helpful in some cases to know the inferences in
different ontologies for the same terms? Granted that it would be
possible to reconcile them but what if I wanted to preserve them?    (06)

>    Even if it seemed to work on a very small number of ontologies, it
>is totally impractical when you get over 10.  If you know of an example
>where it has been done, let us know.

Oh, I am not disagreeing that what you propose would be a lot of work.    (07)

But it does involve the assumption that one wants to merge ontologies
that represent an entire world view (or a substantial part thereof),
which I don't doubt for a moment would be quite complicated.    (08)

So if I trust a mapping of term A to term B, then would you agree that I
can map term C to B without encountering the problem you describe?    (09)

Of course, the more complex the terms, that is in terms of their
relationships to other terms and permitted inferences, the more complex
the problem would become.    (010)

It might well be that it would end up where you are starting with the
merging of complete ontologies. (But just beginning at a different
starting point. I will have to think about that one for a while.)    (011)

Hope you are having a great day!    (012)

Patrick    (013)

>Pat
>
>Patrick Cassidy
>CNTR-MITRE
>260 Industrial Way West
>Eatontown NJ 07724
>Eatontown: 732-578-6340
>Cell: 908-565-4053
>pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx

Patrick Durusau
Patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005    (015)

Topic Maps: Human, not artificial, intelligence at work!     (016)