Re: [ontolog-forum] A "common basis"

To: <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:08:09 -0400
Patrick,    (01)

[PD] > Why would I have to know the equivalent mappings in all the
other
> ontologies? (serious question)
>
> If I trust your mapping of ontology A to ontology B, and I
> want to map
> ontology C to B, why do I need to take the extra step of
> understanding A?

  All I can say is "good luck".  The ontologies I have seen that do a
proper job of even the most basic inheritance are rare, and if you are
willing to trust a lot of mappings without reviewing them yourself,
well, "good luck".  Maybe someday there will be acknowledged
well-constructed ontologies with accurate mappings, and trustable
authoritative sources.  I don't expect to live that long, and I can
think of a lot easier way to get the accurate interoperability I need.    (02)

[PD] > So if I trust a mapping of term A to term B, then would you
> agree that I
> can map term C to B without encountering the problem you describe?

No.  As I said, any difference in the relational structure (which means
any difference *at all* in the ontology) will lead to different
inferences.  The interoperability I want is to be able to draw the same
inferences from the same data.  Mapping different ontologies won't
achieve that.  If the differences are few (for the ontologies I have
seen they will be many), then differences in inferences that are
important may not show up often, like subtle bugs in a computer
program.  But they will be there.  If you are going to rely on your
ontology for anything really important, mapping is a way to incur great
risk.    (03)

Good grief, why accept, after a great deal of effort, a product that is
known to be defective and unreliable, when there is a straightforward
way to avoid it?  I don't want to play games with my ontology, I want
to be able to rely on it for important decisions.  If that means
accepting a manner of representation that is not my personal
preference, well that is a very tiny price to pay for the great
benefit.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
CNTR-MITRE