Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and methodology

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:35:41 -0000
Dear Peter,    (01)

Let me start to try to answer your questions:    (02)

> who should be involved in ontology development?     (03)

MW: Domain experts - to give a lay description of requirements    (04)

MW: philosophical ontology experts - to perform ontological analysis
of the requirements    (05)

MW: Logic experts - to make sure that the axioms say what they are
supposed to and are well written    (06)

MW: Project managers - to keep the show moving along and manage
issues and their resolution (in my experience it take a special
kind of project manager to be helpful with ontology projects)    (07)

> What qualifies them? and how can you judge?     (08)

MW: Probably peer recognition.    (09)

> How do you start to develop an ontology?     (010)

MW: Find someone with a problem that needs an ontology to solve
it and is prepared to pay for having the solution.    (011)

MW: After that, look round for some starting points that are
better than a blank piece of paper.    (012)

> Should you?    (013)

MW: Yes. The potential savings from applying ontologies to
appropriate problems are significant.    (014)

> How do you introduce quality control?     (015)

MW: It is just a matter of ordinary quality management. Users
and other interested parties are invited to identify issues.
An issue identifies a defect (something that prevents the
ontology from fulfilling its purpose - of course that means
your ontology has to have a purpose). Not liking an
ontological choice is not an issue unless you can show there
is something that choice means cannot be supported.    (016)

> Who decides?     (017)

MW: I think Pat is right about Mavens. I think you need 3 or
4 of these to build an ontology. There should be little change
in the make up over time. These guys get to decide how to meet the
requirements and how to respond to the issues that are raised.    (018)

> Where's the process when you need one?    (019)

MW: Well there are lots of processes you need, and agree rules.
One of ours is that one counter-example is enough. We also
(for ISO 15926) have the ISO process for exposing the ontology
and managing issues, and recognising progress and status.