Re: [ontolog-forum] Levels

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:37:03 -0500
Just to clarify, I did not mean the word order literally, I meant
someone who reads English knows to start on the left page at the top
and work through the sentences in order. Other languages may be
completely different even exactly backwards. German is interesting
because they combine words into long words.    (01)

The point is more the relationship between reader and writer. Whether
these are multiple people or multiple computers. A preferred or
required sequence of understanding.    (02)

As to favorite or most difficult words, skimming and parsing correct?    (03)

Debbie    (04)

On 2/20/07, Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I may not have worded it correctly, but the key point is that in
> > certain
> > languages, some words become "favorites" which I interpreted to
> > mean they
> > "carried more weight" than others.  Some words in a sentence
> > actually modify
> > the context of the other words in the sentence.  This makes it very
> > difficult to nail down the semantics of any one word in an ontology,
> > dictionary or other lexicon.
>
> Which is all quite interesting, but my point was simply that this had
> nothing to do with the statement you'd quoted.  My other point was
> that you should probably make your case with languages you are a
> little more familiar with -- unless of course you are interested in
> sparking an international incident. ;-)

Deborah MacPherson
www.accuracyandaesthetics.com
www.deborahmacpherson.com    (08)

The content of this email may contain private
confidential information. Do not forward, copy,
share, or otherwise distribute without explicit
written permission from all correspondents.    (09)