Re: [ontolog-forum] Dimensions of Ontology - Closed World vs. Open World

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:19:41 +0700
On 2/10/07, Charles D Turnitsa <CTurnits@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Continuing our earlier discussion on the dimensions of ontology, do you
> think there is a value in measuring "closed world" vs. "open world"
> ontologies?    (01)

I think there is Chuck
Thanks for picking up on that idea, it may be an important one.    (02)

Closed ontology support a closed system - they have a value and a
purpose but we should be aware of their limitations (as said below)    (03)

open ontology is better suited to open, evolutionary systems (like the
world wide web)
I leave you to extend the definition there    (04)

> If so, do you see commonality, in this dimension, between what Adrian is
> trying to express, and the idea of having an intensional vs. an extensional
> definition of the domain?

well, I suspect that 'open' may also be intensional?
so that would need further thinking perhaps    (05)

Paola Di Maio