Re: [ontolog-forum] Logic, Datalog and SQL

To: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 13:49:18 -0600
>On Feb 9, 2007, at 12:26 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>  ...I think (as I said in
>>  an email response a few days ago) that the usages
>>  of "model" in "model theory" and "modelling"
>>  (respectively realization and prototype) are at
>>  best unrelated, and at worst almost directly
>>  opposite in meaning.
>
>I guess I don't see that, Pat.  Don't, say, a physical model of a
>Boeing 777 and my Tarskian model of the faculty and administration at
>Texas A&M both represent (hence, in some sense, "model") relevant
>structural features of complex real-world things?    (01)

Well, you can put it that way, as John prefers,
but I think its misleading. Why isn't your
Tarskian model actually part of the (real)
faculty and administration at TAMU? Or perhaps
better, why could it not be?    (02)

The oppositeness happens when we speak not of a
physical model of the plane, but a symbolic model
in a computer, which amounts to a large
complicated description of the plane. Which way
does the modelling relationship go now? This is a
simulation-model of the real physical plane
because it *describes* that plane accurately,
i.e. because the real physical plane is a
Tarski-realization-model of it. The 'model of'
arrows in this picture are now pointing in
opposite directions; in fact, they are at
opposite ends of the very same arc.    (03)

Pat    (04)

>-chris

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)