Re: [ontolog-forum] Logic, Datalog and SQL

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 14:07:41 -0600
> I am going to break my own plea to drop the subject by asking Chris
> if both
> of these senses - the Model of an airplane, as well as a Tarskian
> Model,
> exhibit some "lossy"-ness?    (01)

Of course.    (02)

> Model, now matter how it is used, seems to be some sort of extended
> implementation from an original (whether it is an abstraction, like a
> mathematical, computer, or physical model - or some instantiation of a
> series of axioms).  In doing this extension, something is lost from
> the
> original    (03)

I prefer to say "filtered out", since, done right, the stuff that is
filtered out is extraneous to the structure captured in the model.    (04)

> (in the case of the model plane, it is reduced in size,
> functionality, and fidelity - in the case of a Tarskian model it is
> reduced
> from an ideal state explained in axioms    (05)

Note -- a Tarskian model is NOT a set of axioms.  It is a
mathematical structure in which certain axioms are *true*.    (06)

> to something that can change and lose some of its adherence to
> those axioms).    (07)

Modulo the above, of course.  A Tarskian model provides a
mathematical snapshot of a real world situation (perhaps over some
interval of time, if time is part of the representation).    (08)

-chris    (09)